One postdoc position is open in the new ultracold plasma research group at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics of Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic). The contract will commence in September or October 2021 and will be for 1 year with the option to extend for a further 1 year.
The postdoctoral researcher will participate in an ambitious project, in which a new experimental apparatus for studying many-body electron-ion recombination processes in the laser-cooled plasma will be designed and constructed.
The successful candidate will participate in reaching following research objectives:
- Design of the ion trap capable of storing electrons and ions.
- Development of a fast method for detecting the motion of laser-cooled ions.
- Design and construction of the whole experimental set-up combining the aforementioned two technologies.
In order to reach these goals, the prospective member of the group should be skilled in more than one following domains:
- High-performance computing,
- Application of artificial intelligence to hardware design optimisations,
- Design of radio-frequency and microwave circuitry,
- Hands-on experience with lasers,
- Design of ultra-high-vacuum devices.
A good publication record in closely related fields is expected.
The research will be partly conducted in cooperation with universities in the UK.
He/she will be strongly encouraged to apply for additional funding to support the career growth. As the interaction with doctoral and undergraduate students is expected, strong interpersonal skills are welcome but not necessary.
This is the first official public announcement. Applicants shall send
- the CV (no more than 2 pages),
- List of Publications, and
- Statement of Research Interests (no more than 1 page) to the email address given below.
Please refer to the PI’s personal website for further details. Personal email messages will be answered if specific questions are asked. Social network connection requests from candidates will not be accepted.
PI: Michal Hejduk, Ph.D.
Department of Surface and Plasma Science
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
V Holešovičkách 2
Additional information about working at Charles University: https://cuni.cz/UKEN-1149.html
Industry: Higher Education
Employment Type: Full-time