- Ph.D in Physics of Plasma and Ionised Media, Charles University, 2013
- Thesis title: Ion-molecule reactions and electron-ion recombination at cryogenic temperatures
- Studies of ion-electron recombination processes and ion-neutral reactions in low temperature plasma. Cavity Ring-Down Spectroscopy (CRDS).
- Supervisor: Prof. Juraj Glosík in cooperation with Prof. Dieter Gerlich
- Magister in Physics of Plasma and Ionised Media, Charles University, 2009
- Baccalaureus in General Physics, Charles University, 2007
- PI at Department of Surface and Plasma Science, Charles University
- 2020-2021: Optical Engineer
- 2017-2020: Post-Doctoral Research Associate
- 2014-2017: Academic co-worker with scientific duties
- Freiburg Cluster Group, University of Freiburg
- Duties included: Experimental investigation of physical properties of water cluster anions. Chief-tutor for classical and quantum mechanics for chemistry, biology and physics students.
- Supervisor: Professor Bernd von Issendorff
- 2010-2013: Non-academic researcher
- Department of Surface and Plasma Science, Charles University in Prague
- Duties included: Studies of ion-electron recombination processes and ion-neutral reactions in low temperature plasma.
- Supervisor: Professor Juraj Glosík
- OxTALENT award for research poster (innovative design category)
- Award for Excellence, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford
- Selected to participate in the STEM4Britain poster competition held at the British Parliament, poster title: “Cold Quantum Chemistry Machine”
Teaching and Supervision of Students
- Informal supervision of 2 PhD students, 2 master degree students at the University of Oxford.
- PhD student 1: Zeeman deceleration and velocity filtering of hydrogen atoms (currently a Lindemann Fellow at Jun Ye Group in JILA.)
- PhD student 2: Ultra-cold collisions of polar molecules with ions. (Secured a support from three different institutions in the UK and Greece.)
- Master degree students 1 & 2: Optimisation of operation of a Zeeman decelerator using an evolutionary algorithm.
- I also acted as an advisor to 2 junior post-docs.
- Chief tutor of Physics for students of pedagogy (2014), Experimental Physics (Quantum Mechanics) for students of physics (2015, 2016), Introduction to Physics for students of natural sciences (2015). University of Freiburg
- Leadership in Action
- An Introduction to Project Management
- Time Management
- Enterprising Researcher
- Telling stories that matter: communicating your research through story
These are courses organised by the University of Oxford. In addition to this, I also took a course on Toyota Production System at ASMO Czech, s.r.o. when I was working there as an interpreter.
Administrative Activities and Professional Memberships
- Member of the Union of Czech Mathematicians and Physicists
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
Illia Zymak, Michal Hejduk, Dmytro Mulin, Radek Plašil, Juraj Glosík, Dieter Gerlich, "Low-Temperature Ion Trap Studies of N+ (3Pja) + H2 (j) → NH+ + H". Astrophys. J. 768.1, 86 (2013), p. 86.
Michal Hejduk, Petr Dohnal, Peter Rubovič, Ábel Kálosi, Radek Plašil, Rainer Johnsen, and Juraj Glosík, "Flowing-afterglow study of electron-ion recombination of para–H3+ and ortho–H3+ ions at temperatures from 60 K to 300 K" J. Chem. Phys. 143(4), 044303 (2015)
Jutta Toscano, Michal Hejduk, Henry G. McGhee, and Brianna R. Heazlewood, "Manipulating hydrogen atoms using permanent magnets: Characterisation of a velocity-filtering guide". Rev. Sci. Instrum. 90.3 (2019), p. 033201.
Jutta Toscano, Lok Yiu Wu, Michal Hejduk, and Brianna R. Heazlewood, "Evolutionary algorithm optimisation of Zeeman deceleration: Is it worthwhile for longer decelerators?". J. Phys. Chem. A 123 (2019), pp. 5388-5394.
Michal Hejduk and Brianna R. Heazlewood, "Off-axis parabolic mirror relay microscope for experiments with ultra-cold matter". Rev. Sci. Instrum. 90 (2019), p. 123701.
Miossec, Chloé, Michal Hejduk, Rahul Pandey, Neville J. A. Coughlan, and Brianna R. Heazlewood. ‘Design and Characterization of a Cryogenic Linear Paul Ion Trap for Ion–Neutral Reaction Studies’. Review of Scientific Instruments 93, no. 3 (2022): 033201.
European Physical Society Conference on Plasma Physics, Prague 2018
A story about how I became a scientist on a website of the Department of Chemistry (University of Oxford)
OxTALENT 2018 Winner in "Research poster - innovative design" category.